Sunday, June 12, 2011

taking things for granted

Ever find you take way too many things for granted? I do and many times I need to remember to remind myself that I shouldn't. Really why do we do that?

The past couple of weeks have been really difficult. Spiritually, physically, emotionally and mentally. My great uncle passed away and then a very good friend passed away. I cried, I lost sleep, I hardly ate some days because I was so sad.

Recently I have wanted to kick myself in the butt because many times I have found myself saying, "I can talk to that person tomorrow or I can go visit them another day, etc, etc.". Well for some people tomorrow never comes and that's when reality sets in.

This is what happened to me. We were looking forward to inviting our friend to the car races. We talked with him last summer and he so wanted to go and be there. So this year my husband and I talked many times and we were so excited. We were going to call him up, tell him he was coming and go to the car races. We were going to do this a week before the races, which was the day he passed away. My heart broke. My heart broke for my loss, for my husbands loss (because he too was excited to go to the races with our friend) and it broke for our friends wife and family.

Today was a good but hard day. We ventured to the car races, without our friend. Mind you, I'm sure he's looking down from heaven and can watch the races whenever he wants but I missed him. I missed the chance/opportunity that we were hoping to have. The excitement that he would have shown in his face. The excitement I remember seeing the time we talked to him about the races.
I found myself today thinking of that and fighting to hold back the tears while sitting in a stand watching the car races.

I have to remind myself to not take things & people for granted. They won't always be here for us or when we want/need them. Things will not always happen the way we want them too or when we want them too. I need to constantly remind myself of this.

No comments: